Tuesday, July 1, 2008

I Don't Even Know What To Say Anymore....

...and if any of you out there has an answer or knows what to say about this team, please feel free to submit your entry to me via email...

You know what struck me watching the game last night against the Cardinals? What struck me was how intelligently and thoughtfully Cardinal management and coaches seem to approach the game. And you could feel that confidence in the approach extend down to the ballplayers. The Cardinals are nothing if not a well coached bunch, with the great Albert Pujols right smack in the middle of everything.

And look at the Rick Ankiel thing. I mean, a couple of years ago, this guy was A PITCHER in the major leagues. A PITCHER. Think about that for a moment; the Cardinals organization was able to convert A PITCHER to A PRODUCTIVE AND GOLD-GLOVE CALIBER outfielder. Just think about that, and I submit, you know all you need to know about the Cardinal organization.

And then think about Braden Looper, and his conversion by the Cardinals into a successful starting pitcher. And think about the other Dave Duncan success stories...

And tell me the last time anything remotely of the caliber of the things I've described above has ever happened in the Mets organization.

I'll betcha if Aaron Heilman became a Cardinal, he'd be converted into a successful starter by Dave Duncan & Co.

Kinda makes you think, and wonder, what is really going on in the Mets organization. There's just so much wrong, I can't even begin to begin talking about it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We Card fans appreciate the appreciation of our team. You must know, however, that the Cardinals undertook a clandestine approach to ruin the Mets after the great 85-87 seasons. They infiltrated the broadcast booth with Dr. Science, a certain James Timothy McCarver. Blending a Berra-ish intellect with a Joycian linguistic array, he launched a verbal assault upon your Metdomain. A Babelesque confusion reigned forth. (Should curve balls be thrown from the center or right side of the rubber by left handers? Oh, it depends upon the hitter and his stance.) I feel like the AFLAC duck in the Yogi commercial when listening to TimmyMac did a game on WOR. Fortunately, we no longer get WOR down here.

So, be understanding of the current weaknesses of the Mets. They have been planted, surreptitiously, unbeknownst but to a few.

Chet Novak said...

Obviously, the Mets are in disarray, and as it is already the halfway point of the season, it would take a lot of direction to get them back in order. Yet from where I sit, near the St. Louis Arch, I see how frustrating it would be for players and fans alike, because there is enough talent there for a really solid ball club. It seems as if the Mets' organization needs to take stock of all non-player staff, top to bottom, because if that isn't in order, things will turn out just like your article says in regards to coaching and management. And although I like Randolph well enough, it doesn't matter who is at the helm if the entire staff isn't on the same page. I write a Redbirds blog, so I know it's up to the Cards to exploit any shortcomings the Mets have. And the Mets may very well win this series yet. I just think the Mets players and fans have been somewhat cheated so far this year, and will have to overcome a lot to get back into the hunt.

Chet Novak said...

BTW, I'm editor on Topix-MLB and posted a link to the Major League Baseball News section. This blog entry was as insightful as any beat writer I've seen on the subject, if not better. Very honest and fair and well said.

Deb said...

T from dc and chet - first, thank you for visiting; I intend to return the favor.

T, I had a good laugh about the McCarver thingy. Let me tell you something -- I always thought that Timmy Boy had his own agenda, and now I have had that confirmed... "Babelesque" indeed, you are a genius. Are you a blogger? If so, I want to know where I can find you, hasta pronto. That means NOW, dearie! :)

And Chet, I will be seeking you out shortly. I'm anxious to read your blog, and thank you for your kind comments and your "plug." After what I've been through today with all the rah rah and stuff, it's nice to know that at least someone out there gets what I'm trying to say.

Or as a friend of mine used to say in his less lucid moments: "guess what I'm trying to think about?"

Thank you both. Please visit often!