Wednesday, September 24, 2008

And The Big Pussy's Pick of the Week Goes To...

Mets fans in general. Myself included.

True, this week was a test of our strengths and very fortitude that makes us Mets fans. Losing two out of three to the Braves. Splitting a four-game series with the Nationals earlier. Losing ANOTHER two out of three to the Braves prior that. Etc, etc. Hi-sign. Etc.

And then losing the first out of a four game series (for those of you counting at home -- a three-game losing streak) to the, you know, NL Central champs the Cubs was more than we could bear.

I, myself, claimed on my Facebook homepage that the season was in effect over. O-V-E-R. Real over. I could not even fathom the Mets even taking one game out of the Cubs series (although our ace in the hole with Johan was in the factor), let alone the next three. Not to mention the many stars aligning with a Phillies team that just does not seem to lose this time of the year, plus the Brew Crew (although they have been in a downward spiral), playing the worst of the worst, the Pirates.

And not to mention the state of the team. Barring the odge that the bullpen tends to give us on a nightly basis, even with like a 20-run head start, Luis Castillo seems to loaf during the early years on his contract, David Wright was thought to be "unclutch" and our version of "A-Rod" with "meaningless" stats (you know, like 122 RBIs), then you know, after Carlos Delgado, there's no threat in the line up, therefore he does not see good pitches anymore.

But boy, what one night will do to you. And boy, was I wrong.

It's far from over. Henny Penny, the sky is not falling. As I said last night walking out of the stadium, when there is light, there is still hope. And what's a Mets fan without hope? A Yankees fan (another reason to be happy, being officially mathematically eliminated last night with the Sox win).

So Mets fans, it's not over. This team (unlike 2007) will find ways to win, even those that seem to defy convention. So buck up, pull yourself up by your bootstraps and let's enjoy this race while we can.

You big fucking pussies. And I say that with much love.

8 comments:

Deb said...

"I'm A Pussy...You're A Pussy."

Sounds like a great title for a new book, lol.

But as much as I love you, Coop, and you know I do, I can't put Mets fans in the Pussies Hall of Shame, I just can't. I think Mets fans have endured a lot over the past few decades, and need I remind you of the following: Bobby Bonilla (twice); Juan Samuel; Vince Coleman; Generation X; and 2007.

More: Dallas Green, Art Howe, the deRoulets, and the stupid slogans at Shea.

I think there's easily enough there to justify the pussiness of Mets fans, lol.

So I happily declare myself a Mets Fan Pussy, and am actually thinking of starting a fan club called Pussies For The Mets, or something like that.

Or maybe, as I said in an email to you, just renaming the blog "Pissed Off Chick(s)." lol

Coop said...

LOL - well, let's be fair. Most of these "fans" became fans in, oh say, 2005 or 2006 and think they are entitled to something. I remember when they were horrible and am happy to compete this last in the season. Who knew? I gladly take my pussy title with pride. That's because I've lived through it, as you said, and can't take anymore.

Deb said...

Ah... ain't it grand, two happy little pussies *snicker,* lol!

Thank you, Coop, for making me happy as a clam in my pussiness! :)

Jack Flynn said...

I'm an not even going to attempt to add any other puns here!

I will just say that everything looks a little brighter after the Mets win a game and it was very nice to see the Phillies and the Red Sox games go final right as the Mets were finishing off last night's victory. One game closer to the Phils, no more Yankees - life ain't so bad today!

Deb said...

Aw, c'mon, Jack! No pussy puns? No here, kitty, kitty, kitty??? *snicker*

I just can't get all excited about last night. Santana was on the mound, and the win, if not expected, was at least a likelihood.

God help us if the Brewers get hot.

But I do suppose the win last night made today much more bearable than a loss would have made it.

That's about the best I can do, sorry :0!

George said...

So after tonight, am I still a pussy?

Rickey said...

In Rickey's book, anyone who girds their loins and sits down to watch the mets doesn't qualify as a pussy. But hey, what does Rickey know? He spent all last night in the fetal position.

Deb said...

I was going to say, no, George, you are decidedly NOT a pussy, you are a real man, but after Rickey's comment about the fetal position, I don't think there are many real men left, lol.

So be a pussy, and be a proud pussy. Today, I am the proudest pussy on the face of the earth.

As for the Mets, the only thing I can say is "motherfuckers...." Or, to paraphrase Britney, "oops, they did it again."