Thursday, August 28, 2008

This Is Del-Bugging Me.....

...I'll TELL YOU what's Del-bugging me... Mets fans and their recent lovefest with Carlos Delgado.

Look, I'm as happy as the next guy/gal that Carlos has suddenly found it within him to turn things around this half, and make a huge impact upon the fortunes of the Mets. Sure, he looks rejuvinated, energetic, focused, whatever you want to call it. Without him in the second half, unarguably the Mets would not be where they are; I certainly agree with that.

But I cannot forget the dog years of 2007 and the first half of 2008. Maybe one can chalk up Carlos Del-Dogging it in 2007 due to lingering affects of an injury; MAYBE, but there is the first half of 2008, and Carlos' known dislike of Willie Randolph, which many speculate had at least some bearing upon Carlos' poor performance in 2007/2008. So let me get this straight -- we're just supposed to forget that Del-Doggo basically phoned it in for a year and a half? And now we're all supposed to jump on the Bring Delgado Back Bandwagon?

You know, fans have very short memories. And while I'm thrilled at the resurgence of Delgado, the bad taste I have in my mouth for him lingers, and because of it, I'm very cautious about singing his praises too loudly. Or making a premature commitment to him for next year. Not just yet.

4 comments:

Coop said...

No deb you are right. most of us are eating crow for saying he should be traded for a pair of shoes (ok, maybe that was me), but unless we can finagle a deal for Morneau in the 2010 offseason, I don't see any reason why we should keep him around. I have no doubt he was the "cancer" that basically drove willie out of town. not that was a bad thing...but still...i'm with ya

Deb said...

Yeah; we're falling all over ourselves "apologizing" to this guy; I don't see him apologizing to the fans for basically taking a year and a half off, I mean, REALLY! To quote a line from Lethal Weapon - "who is the dickhead now, hmmmm?" lol

Rickey said...

Rickey has made his peace with Delgado, but he still shouldn't come back next season.

And this is off topic, but Rickey strongly dislikes pugs. Just thought you should be aware of that.

Deb said...

As does Deb... whydja think I used that pic???????? lol