Thursday, August 21, 2008

And The Mets Continue To Roll...

...and Mike Pelfrey pitches the first complete game of his career last night at Shea. By the reaction of the crowd in the bottom of the ninth inning, you'd have thought you were at a World Series game.

In the post-game interview, Pelfrey seemed kind of shell shocked and stunned by the reaction of the Shea Stadium crowd. I got news for ya, Mikey -- if you continue on this way, you had better get used to that. Much like the encores some of the offense are goaded to give by the wildly enthusiastic Shea fans, so the pitchers get the ninth inning on-yer-feet treatment by the crowd. Shea is like nothing else when the going's good, and last night, the going was VERY good, indeed.

I think I'm at the point where I'm finally able to call the Mets a TEAM. They are playing like one, celebrating like one, supporting each other like one, and if walks like a duck... well, you know the rest. This Mets duck is quacking fiercely, and if the bullpen holds up, and the offense does enough, and the starters continue to perform the way they have, well then, duck soup is certainly very possible.

They don't call 'em The Amazins for nuttin!

And now, for the piece de resistance, the Yankees suck image du jour. And make sure you say that as im-azzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzhhhhhhhhe, with the zzzzzzzzzzzzzzhhhhhhhhhe very, very, stressed -- JUST LIKE THE YANKEES! Yuck yuck yuck....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They do seem like a team now, Deb, but I'll be damned if I can put my finger on what it is and I have a fear that they feel like a team to us because they're winning a lot (and not the other way around). The corollary of this would be that they might not seem like much of a team if they go into a slump. I'm worried about the bullpen, I'm worried about the anxiety we'll all feel unless they get 10 games ahead, considering what happened last year.

Deb said...

I just sense something has changed, Dana. When I saw Johan at the top of the dugout steps yesterday along with every person on the team who could possibly fit on the top of the dugout steps, and saw the emotion and enthusiasm for young Pelfrey and his accomplishment, something just clicked in my head. And I can assure you, I'm not given to hallucinations. At least, not MOST of the time, lol.

I feel that once and for all, the team has finally kicked the monkey of last year off its back. And even if they don't make it this year, I won't feel that it's because of the lingering hangover of last year, it'll be because they were just plain and simply outdone by a better team. And that's a much better feeling than the feeling I had after last year.

Brian H said...

Knock, Knock...