Friday, August 15, 2008

But The Weirdest Fucking Shit Of All....

...is the news that broke late yesterday that Christopher "Mad Dog" Russo, longtime co-host of WFAN's "Mike and The Mad Dog" afternoon show, was leaving the station for parts unknown.

This shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone. Mike and Chris have had feuds in their 18+ years on WFAN before; in fact, more often than not, or so it seems. The announcement apparently came almost immediately following the announcement by WFAN of a new contract for Mike Francessa, and I wonder how much one had to do with the other, since I think Russo was under contract to WFAN through 2009, or at least part of it, as he himself said on the show a couple of weeks ago.

Of course, he also said he wasn't going anywhere, so there is that.

Rumors are that Russo will be off to satellite radio.

This all brings me to why I've called this the "weirdest fucking shit of all." Why, you ask? Well, because in all my years on sports message boards, blogs, fan sites, and talking to fans, Mets and Yankees, Giants and Jets, Knicks and Nets, Rangers, Islanders, Devils, Liberty, you name it -- I've never encountered a single person who's had anything positive to say about Mad Dog, and about Mike, although to a little lesser extent.

And now, this morning, all these callers on the Richard Neer show (whom I truly dislike, always have, even when he was a DJ on the old WNEW 102.7 FM, but more about him another time, the stuck up arrogant ass that HE is) are calling in and bemoaning the demise of both the M&MD show and of Christopher Russo himself.

Funny how shit happens, huh?

And since this IS, after all, a Mets blog, the best news of all today is that last night in D.C., the Mets completed a sweep of the Nationals, and now possess first place in the NL East all by their lonesome.

And you have to wonder whether it is really an option for the Mets to resign Ollie Perez. You almost have to do it if you're the Mets, no matter what it costs you.

And speaking of pitching, with Stokes in the role of the long man out of the pen, and with Billy Wagner scheduled to return to the big club on Monday, you have to feel much better about the whole state of the bullpen, if you're a Mets fan.

And the icing on the Mets cake? I'll give you three guesses, and the first two don't count.

Yep, that's right, you guessed it!

5 comments:

Brian H said...

I got four words...

FUCK YOU JIMMY ROLLINS

I feel better now. Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.

Deb said...

No problem, Brian; you're always welcome to bash the Phillies on this here blog, lol.

Do you think Rollins wants out of the City of Brotherly Love, or what?

Rickey said...

Look, Russo and Fatcessa are total idiots, but together those guys were an institution. Rickey's going to miss em. Look for a bemused eulogy from Rickey tomorrow...

Deb said...

Rickey isn't the only one that's gonna miss 'em, apparently. I listened to quite a bit of the show yesterday, on top of listening to WFAN all morning, and I honestly could not believe the outpouring of the callers for those two. And I guess the more I think about it, the more I understand it.

They're still two big bozos, though. Well, one big, and one not so big. LOL

Anonymous said...

Weird. I thought that Dogg was an ignorant dimwit with marginal command of the English language and that Francesca is almost as stupid and 10 times more grating and obnoxious-far more obnoxious than Neer, I might add.

However--and here's the weird part-- I'm not particularly upset that Russo is going. I frankly couldn't care less. I rarely tuned into the show, because not only did I disliked them, I disliked disliking them, and listening to them was always unpleasant without qualification. I avoided them with the same consistency with which I avoid boy-bands questionable looking beef, bruised knees, curious yellow patches of dirt, telemarketers, Wymyns Studies Majors, she-males, Bill O'Reilly, and New Jersey.

The only interest I have in this non-event (for me) is that it might result in Fatcessa (Nothing can get by him; especially in a small room) finally being taken off the air. This may seem harsh, but the fact is that there are thousands of people more entertaining and more qualified to be doing what he is doing, and Mike is wasting airspace in addition to all of the hydraulic leverage he exhausts from his talking. (Of course I said the same thing about Bill O'Reilly when his dalliances with interns was exposed--and I think it made him more popular.