Monday, August 4, 2008

At Least, I'm Not Wondering....

...why I'm in a sour ass mood today, considering the recent play of the Mets, losing five of their last six, getting swept by the lowly Houston Astros, letting the likes of Kaz Matsui and Ty Wigginton have a hand in the beating...ugh!

Normally, it takes a while to get going on a Monday morning, anyway, but with all that baggage, and all, well, it's even harder. On first glance, it might be hard to believe that a team that can reel off ten straight wins with nary a sweat being raised could revert back to its prior form so easily and so quickly.

But on second glance, we realize, once again, that you are what you are what you are, and what this team has been for close to two years now is pretty much a .500 team, no matter who the manager is.

I said before Willie was fired that Willie wasn't the problem with this team, and it's starting to look as if I might have had a clue there. Don't get me wrong, I think Willie had lost the team and needed to go at some point, but I also didn't think then, and don't think now, that his firing would make a major impact on the course of this season.

And now John Maine is on the DL, and frankly, even if he comes off as scheduled, I'm very concerned about him; Billy "I'm Forever Blowing..." Wagner has arm issues as well, Pedro is, well, Pedro (translation: he's now morphed into the role of a dilettante on the pitching staff), Carlos Beltran has become so unaggressive at the plate he's now batting second, Carlos Delgado is cooling off and David Wright is strangely blah this year. I don't hold out too much hope for the return of Church, and Alou is out for the season. We then have a bunch of rookies playing out of position, a bunch of bench guys who have performed beyond what anyone could have reasonably (or unreasonably) expected, and a bullpen that can't hold a lead or save a game for the life of 'em.

And Omar stands pat at the trading deadline.

Look, I get that we traded away a lot of our prospects for Santana. I get that. I get that Omar didn't want to "overpay" (whatever the hell THAT means anymore) for marginal talent; I get that the array of arms available out there wasn't stellar, but standing pat? I just don't get that, I'm sorry. As it turns out, many of the guys who went the way of the trade were eminently gettable; I have to wonder what the eff the Mets were thinking.

You know what they say: in for a penny, in for a pound. And if you're not, then don't play around. Hey, that rhymes. Which is about the only funny thing I can think of right now. With all the money the Mets have spent on this... this.... this... TEAM (and these days, I'm using the word loosely), you would think that with the division within their grasp, they'd pull out the stops necessary to grab the brass ring.

Which leads me to one question -- what the fuck ARE they doing, anyway? Are they really trying to win it all? Or are they just (with thanks to Blazing Saddles) "jerking off?????"

Well, jerk somebody else off, boys. The team is falling apart at the seams, and right now, I'm not in the mood to once again pick myself up, dust myself off, and have any reasonable confidence in its direction.

Because today, folks, there ain't no good, tons of bad, and it's all just ugly. Today I feel like a Yankee fan.... yes, indeed, today, I feel like the Mets suck.

5 comments:

Rickey said...

Frakking Kazmat comes back to haunt us. Ugly, ugly series...

Deb said...

You mean Hazmat? And you don't have to say "frakking," Rickey, Rickey can say the real F word over here, lol.

This was as terrible a series as the Mets have played this year, for sure. And I'm supposed to feel confident that the Padres are next up? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't they sweep our asses under Petco Park when we were out there earlier this year?

Second division, light hitting team my fucking foot...lol.

I'm engaged in a little fight with some eggheads on a message board, a-gain. Man, you would think I would have learned by this point...lol.

George said...

Not only did the Padres sweep our asses, I had to suffer through the final 2 games in person. That sucked.

Rickey said...

Well okey dokey then: fuck, fuck, fuckidty fuck. We suck. Again.

Deb said...

Poor Georgie...lol. That was, indeed, the classic "double whammy," lol.

And yes, indeed, Rickey, fuckity fuck, indeed, we suck. Hey, Walt Whitman I ain't, but it still rhymes, lol.