Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Okay, Okay, I Give...........

As the Mets team bus crashes and burns on its way out of San Diego, I give... I give... I'm crying "uncle," and all that other good stuff.

It's really hard to know what to say at this point. And the funny thing is, some of the things we thought might make a difference scarcely a few weeks ago don't even seem to apply at this point. Like the "Fire Willie" thing. Which I no longer believe is the answer.

I think it's fair to say that right now, based upon the team's performance over the last year, this team has proven, once and for all, that it's basically a .500 team, no better, no worse. Until death do it part, or until the Wilpons finally understand that the team is well and truly flawed, and decide to either accept the reality or slowly but surely dismantle the pieces and the architects and go in another direction.

I surely hope it's the latter, but I don't expect the latter to occur at any time this year, because I frankly don't think the Wilpons are going to throw in the towel yet. They're going to keep Willie and Omar, and stubbornly cling to the "we just have to get it going" mantra for the rest of the year, and then make sweeping and wide-reaching changes when the season ends.

Because, folks, this team just ain't making it to the postseason.

There's a lot of baseball left, and I'm just going to settle in and take each game for what it's worth, with little or no expectations left for postseason play for this team.

No comments: