Friday, April 3, 2009

The "Sheff" Of The Future????

No, kiddies, I ain't talking about Ralph and Norton, they of the wonderfully hysterical and timeless Honeymooners' sketch....

I just wanted to let y'all know, in case you're living under a rock with no cell phone or radio or TV or snail mail or friends or enemies, even...that the formerly great Gary Sheffield is now a New York Met. That's right; you heard me. He's a New York Met.

And I say this with some surprise, because frankly, he's not the kind of guy I thought the Mets would ever go for. Considering his personality, his ego, his baggage, and all. His "me me me" attitude is definitely a "no no no" with the Mets.

But there is one reason, and one reason only, that the Wilpons went for this deal, and I'll give ya three guesses why, and the first two guesses don't count.

Okay, now that you've guessed MONEY - DING DING DING DING DING!!!!! That's right, The Sheff has been had on the cheap, having been unceremoniously dumped by The Tigers, despite the $14M they still owe him, at the 499 home run mark.

Now THAT, my friends, is some really nasty shit. I wonder what ol' Sheff did to piss them off that much.

Speculation aside, there is no way anybody can convince me in the slightest that this is not the steal of the decade for the Mets, and an answer to a long-existing problem in the lineup - the lack of a truly significant credible power threat from the right side of the plate. You simply slide Sheff in there, and whammo presto - the complexion of the entire lineup changes, physically and mentally.

On both sides of the ball.

This is a GREAT move. And the timing is FABULOUS.

2 comments:

Coop said...

Deb, I am 100% with you here = http://mysummerfamily.blogspot.com/2009/04/you-must-chill-you-must-chill-i-have.html

Brian H said...

A wasted old man the DETROIT TIGERS CUT???

I will remember you said this...

:-)