Wednesday, October 1, 2008

My End Of The Season "Thank You" List...

...yeah, that's right, you read it right. I actually have some "thank yous" to write despite the disastrous ending to yet another Met season.

And they are, in no particular order:

First, a big thank you to Coop, DingoMets, Joe Janish, Metstradamus, Rickey Henderson, and many others for helping me with the blog, both in the setup, and the contributions. Without all of you, and each of you, it would have been difficult, if not impossible, to get the blog up and running, and continuing it, and you have all been an inspiration and a God-given gift to me. I want you to know how much you are all appreciated.

And to all those who helped, and contributed, and commented, whom I didn't mention, please know that I appreciate each and every one of you, and look forward to every day on the blog, sometimes in spite of what our favorite team is doing at the time. Sometimes because of, but mostly in spite of; at least, this past year!

Second, thank you Gary, Ron and Keith. If it weren't for you three, Mets baseball this past season might have truly been unbearable and unwatchable. Gary, you are a consummate professional, both in your preparation and in your delivery. For my money, there isn't a better play-by-play guy, nor a more informed and prepared one, anywhere. Ron, you are brilliant, simply brilliant, and manage to convey the nuances of pitching and of the game in general without sounding condescending and over-the-head of the average Joe Baseball Watcher. Keith, what can one say about you, Keith? The phrase "I'm Keith Hernandez!" is simply perfect, for you are nothing if not yourself. Your irreverent, comical, down-to-earth, truth-be-told style is constantly refreshing and entertaining, and your slice-of-life relationship with the New York fans is truly a lovefest.

I strongly believe the three of you will be in the broadcaster's wing of the Hall of Fame one day.

Third, thank you to Fernando Tatis, Angel Pagan, Nelson Figueroa and Ryan Church, to name a few, for leaving it all out there. Fernando, you were simply magnificent, and a joy to watch. Angel, we lost you too soon. Nelson, I'll never forget your family piled high above the field at Shea, in Billy Wagner's box in your first start, a truly magical one, cheering you on and bringing back memories of what many of us have felt is the true essence of fandom. Ryan, you were a brave soldier, and gave us much hope for the future.

Fourth, a special thank you to Johan Santana. You truly deserve the Cy Young Award this year, as well as the Met MVP. You are a true ace, a true animal (and I mean that in the best of ways), a true competitor with few equals in this day and age of baseball. I truly look forward to your future as a Met, and hope that you are able to capture the ultimate prize while a member of this team.

And finally, thank you, Shea Stadium. Your past glory will never be forgotten, and my memories of you will live in my heart forever. You will always be great in my book.

7 comments:

James Allen said...

Jesus Christ. We all know Santana's a great pitcher, but he more than went above and beyond. I agree with Steve at Eddie Kranepool Society; where the hell were the rest of them?

Deb said...

I know; I know, James. I know. And I just read Steve at the EKS, too....

Right about now, I wonder if Santana's wondering a lot of the same things WE are...????

Rickey said...

Dawww, thanks to you too for stopping by. Have no fear, Rickey will continue with the hot stove talk once rumors about the Mets signing Livian Hernandez start hearting up!

Deb said...

You're welcome, Rickey! I assume the Livan Hernandez signing posts will start as soon as they announce the resigning of Moises Alou as the everyday right fielder, the signing of Mike Piazza as the everyday catcher, and the signing of Edgardo Alfonzo as the everyday second baseman.

*Sticks out tongue* lol

Anonymous said...

Can we cajole Al Leiter and Johnny Franco out of retirement?

Rickey said...

And while we're at it, Mike Hampton is available, yes?

Deb said...

Joe: Do not ever, EVER, mention those two names anywhere near this blog again :)! Al Leiter is a born politician, and a Yankee traitor, and John Franco is... well... John Franco. All I can say about him is that he prepared the Met fan for the true Heartbreak Kid -- Armando Benitez *snicker.*

Rickey: I don't think the schools in the New York area have improved considerably enough for Mike *snicker snicker.* :)